What is M7-betas?
It's an e-mail list for people who are interested in beta-reading fan fiction based on the Magnificent Seven TV series and for M7 fan fic writers who are looking for a beta reader.
What is the topic of the list?
No actual fic will be posted to this list, and members are asked to refrain from discussing specific stories. Writers are encouraged to post requests for beta readers, briefly giving the pertinent information about their fic, including the main character(s), genre, length, universe, whether they have special requirements (i.e. can't type, dyslexia, English-as-a-seond language, never actually seen the show), etc. Beta readers are encouraged to post a bit about themselves, including the type of fic they prefer to beta (please do not make disparaging comments - e.g., rather than stating, I can't stand slash!, indicating I will read gen fic and hetsmut. will tell slash writers that you probably aren't the person to beta their fic without making them wince.) Discussion of common problems encountered by beta readers is also encouraged, although comments should be general enough that specific writers will not feel they are being singled out. For example, the common confusion between "then" and "than" can be discussed, but remarking on the consistent misspelling of the word "regulator" as "regultor" probably should not be (since it's likely only one writer does that).
Who should subscribe as a beta reader?
Please subscribe to this list as a beta reader ONLY if you have the time and motivation to help other authors improve their work, and if:
- You are over 18 years of age.
- You are not just interested in reading fic before anyone else sees it
- You have the necessary writing and language skills needed to correct someone else's work
- You do not feel the need to inform the Known Universe of what type(s) of fic you hate or find offensive (it's okay to hate or be offended, just don't share your feelings on the list.)
Beta readers will be able to select the fic they wish to beta, and writers should understand that occasionally, there may not be anyone available for certain types of fic. Writers should not send fic to beta readers unless they volunteer to beta it.
Beta readers must be subscribed with the "individual e-mail" option. If you must subscribe as digest, or web-only, due to the amount of mail you receive daily, then you probably don't have the time to devote to the beta reading process. (If you must use these options for other reasons, but you are willing/able to check the list daily, please let the list owner know).
How do I know if I'd be a good beta reader?
Well... you can take this little mini-test :
A. What is wrong with this sentence?
- Vin is taller then Ezra.
- JD agreed to except the job of sheriff.
- Buck told JD not to fan his guns cause it could ruin them.
- Chris Larrabee doesn't always wear black.
- Were it not for the money hidden in his vest, Ezra would of died when he was shot.
- JD didn't mean to shoot Annie he slipped and fired a shot through the bank window.
B. Is this character name spelled correctly?
- Vin Tanner
- Inez Rosillos
- Mary Travis
- Chris Larabee
- Maud Standish
- Ezra Standish
- J.D. Dunn
- Joshia Sanchez
- Buck Willmington
- Nathan Jackson
- Orren Travis
C. Is the sentence correctly punctuated?
- "Nice gun. Can I have it?" said Josiah.
- "I wasn't plannin' on dyin' with a broom in my hand, anyway." Said Vin.
- J.D. exclaimed, "I ain't racin' no girl!"
- "I abhor gambling," said Ezra, "and therefore leave nothing to chance."
- "Lady, I am the bad element." Chris said to Mary.
- "The wind blew, the clouds parted, and out came the sun," declared Buck.
- "My name is J.D. Dunne, and I can ride!" the young man boasted.
- "I know someone who will help." said Nathan
- "Did you just call me a cowboy?" The gunfighter glared at the three men as he spoke.
D. Canon or fanon?
- The name of the town is Four Corners
- JD is from Boston
- Ezra's mother has been married five times
- Josiah was once a priest
- Vin was raised by Native Americans
- Vin's horse's name is Peso
- Chris' wife and child died in a fire
- Buck's mother was a prostitute
- Nathan's mother committed suicide when he was seven
- Buck was once a lawman
- JD is illegitimate
- No one trusts Ezra
How do I get on the list?
Visit the list's home page at: http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/M7-betas/ and follow the directions there
Send a blank e-mail to: M7firstname.lastname@example.org
Return to Main Page
Question A: What is wrong with this sentence? (5 points each)
Question B: Is this character name spelled correctly? (2 points each)
Question C: Is the sentence correctly punctuated? (4 points each)
D. Canon or fanon? (1 point each)
Of course, this test is just for fun, but, if you score below 85, you may want to purchase a copy of Writers Inc by Patrick Sebranek (available at most bookstores and from Amazon.com) or a similar writing guide, and rewatch those episodes again!
Return to Main Page